February 15, 2010

Looking for the Gold


For our Resolutionary Challenge this week (Olympics week), one of our challenges is to "Find and document the gold in every day. The point would be earned for finding something "gold" in every day, whether it be a kid’s funny comment, a nice gesture...something that made you laugh + journal about it!"
I figured as long as I am journaling about it, I'll share my daily gold with y'all.
Feb. 15: Wow! What a way to start! Tonight we went to the Kennedy Center to see/hear Maris Jansons and the Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra (said to be the greatest orchestra in the world). The sound was incredible; I'm still floating in the clouds. They played Sibelius and Rachmaninoff's Second Symphony. It reminded me why I play cello; to be part of that beautiful noise is indescribable. Of course, I was only participating as an audience member tonight, but I need to do that more often to remind me of the beauty, and just forget about the hard work for a while.
Feb. 16: The gold from today happened when I was practicing. Time disappeared and I was totally focused. Love that feeling.
Feb. 17: I teach a young man named Stephen. He is very very shy and hardly says more than a word at a time during his lesson. However, today I made him laugh multiple times and he even offered a couple of sentences of his own volition. So Golden to me!! :o)
Feb. 18: Fantastic RS meeting tonight with our ward and Leesburg Ward combined. We made hygiene kits for Haiti and some other projects for the local hospital. Lots of socializing going on while we did service. No food was served; at least I don't think so. If there was, it wasn't a big deal. Sister Beck would have been thrilled! Gold!!!
Feb. 19: Following on the Sister Beck theme, I read a talk this morning that she gave last August that was pure gold. Her words helped me realize once again and on a deeper level what a wonderful, dear husband I have.
Some words that I read today that made me laugh: (from our local paper)
Feb. 20: Today I spent golden time developing relationships. Adam, Marie, Spencer and Emma spent some time with me this morning. I talked on the phone with my sweet daughter Emily, my amazing brother, Brett, and my incredible sister-in-law, Lori. I went to an all-county orchestra concert to hear two of my students play. My dear hubby called from down south; so wonderful to hear his voice. I called my friend that is undergoing radiation and chemotherapy, and now I am going to go read Anne of Green Gables to my adorable sixteen-year-old, who loves a good bedtime story :o).
Feb. 21: Two golden lessons on agency today underscored what I have been thinking about lately, and will continue to ponder. It is finally dawning on me how huge the gift of agency is, and why we fought for it. I can't quite imagine life without agency (Satan's plan) but I'm also pretty sure that I don't come close to fully appreciating the potential that it gives us. This week I realized that every second of every day, except maybe when we are sleeping, we are making choices (exercising agency). We can trip through life without realizing this, OR we can harness our brain power and soul power to make each moment what we want it to be. This links directly to praying always; keeping a prayer in our heart. If we are consciously choosing each moment what to do in the next moment, we'd better have some guidance.
Feb. 22 Two awesome gold medal moments:
#1: Kate has been hired FULL TIME by pujbaby.com. She worked just a few short days for them before they realized how awesome she is.
#2: Brett Weaver, Brock's dad, travels a lot. He had some miles that were going to expire, and gave them to Brock and Kate so they could COME HERE at Thanksgiving. Oh yeah, Brett definitely gets a gold medal for that one!!!!
Feb 23 and 24: Last week Laura was rehearsing for the upcoming musical revue. One of the songs had a word in it that La didn't want to sing. The teacher said, "Nobody minds saying this word, do you?" La spoke up and said, "Actually, yes. I do." The teacher ranted and raved, and La felt very uncomfortable. Later several kids came up to her and said, "Thank you so much for saying something!" My golden girl.

No comments: